2017/05/03

Myrsini - Great Cretan food in Berlin

Untitled
Last night I was in for a real treat. My friend Giorgos, aka my Greek brother Yolo, has started working as a cook at a new Cretan restaurant called Myrsini, located in Charlottenburg. Now I have a reason to go to this area more often.

Untitled
My partner in crime was there as well.

Untitled
Nikos, the owner, is a ceramic artist and you see his beautiful work everywhere.

Untitled
He also brought with him so many beautiful things from his old Myrsini restaurant in Thessaloniki.

Untitled

Untitled
You can also buy some delicacies to bring home, next time I will go for that black beautiful tin.

Untitled
So, let's sit down. Be prepared to get hungry!

Untitled
We started with some homemade bread (they make everything themselves in the restaurant, as well as directly import most of the things straight from Crete) and those olives had a hint of rose taste, the tastiest I ever tried. And they were so tiny!

Untitled
Myrsini serves a lot of vegan dishes and are serious about not mixing the vegan food preparation with the meat dishes.

Untitled
Here some beans and lentils + fava (yellow split peas puree).

Untitled
This is something I never tried before and fell immediately in love with - Stamnankáthi, a plant which only grows in Crete. If you never tried it - you have to!

Untitled
And this! Ntákos.

Untitled
Potatoes and leek in lemon sauce.

Untitled
All of a sudden, there was cheese on the table! Next time I will go for the mixed cheese plate for sure.

Untitled
Here is Apáki, marinated and smoked pork. Very rich in flavour and went so well with the potatoes, leek, lemon sauce.

Untitled
As the Cretan kitchen was completely new to me (never been there, though I'm quite familiar with Greek food), we decided to try some Souvlaki and Bifteki to have something to "compare to". This was more fresh than the regular Greek versions I've tried before.

Untitled
They also make hand cut homemade fries, which is quite uncommon in the Greek restaurants in Berlin. Another thing I love, is that Myrsini doesn't compromise - good to know: they don't serve Gyros and neither feta cheese or regular tzatziki as it's not part of the Cretan kitchen.

Untitled
Almost never do I order a dessert, but if there's yogurt, I say yes!

Untitled
The sun set and we hung out a bit more with the guys, having a glass of red wine and some raki.

Untitled
Already looking forward to next time!

Untitled
The end. Now I have to go to Crete.

10 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I am so glad you mentioned they have vegan options and take this seriously. I will definitely put it on my list of places to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a loyal client for over 16 years now.
    From the very first Myrsini restaurant in Thessaloniki, this has been my favourite gastronomic experience, this restaurant takes 6 out of 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool, then you have to visit myrsini in berlin soon ;)

      Delete
  3. Those yellow walls are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I think this is the same Myrsini with the one in Thessaloniki (Greece) that has closed about a year ago! Great food and place! You must visit Crete someday and so do I :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's exactly that one!
      x

      Delete
  5. Does the restaurant in Germany comply with the smoking ban? Cause they sure as hell didn't in Greece AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE. Do the owners pay their employees? They had many issues with that in Thessaloniki too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this restaurant comply with the smoking ban in Germany? Because it sure as hell didn't in Thessaloniki AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE. Also do the owners pay their employees? They had issues with that in the restaurant in Thessaloniki. Finally, why move to Germany when the vibe in the restaurant in Greece was anti-EU?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you seem to have really big issues with this place and i don't understand why you feel the need to tell it to me. maybe it would be better if you address your issues straight to them?

      Delete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.